Students have the opportunity to obtain credit through enrollment in courses offered by a participating college. The student must meet specific requirements for participation in the programs offered. Students may not take PSEO courses in place of required core courses at Elyria Catholic. Also, courses offered at Elyria Catholic may not be taken at a college. The P.S.E.O. offers the student two options: Option B and Credit-in-Escrow.
1. Under Option B, students enroll in courses and receive both high school and college credit. Fees are covered by the state. The college course grade in not entered into the high school GPA. The number of college courses permitted depends on the student's high school schedule. Note: one semester college credit hour is equal to .20 Carnegie units (high school credit); therefore, five semester college credit units is equal to one full Carnegie unit. No summer school classes are allowed under this option.
2. Under Credit-in-Escrow, students enroll in courses at a college and receive only college credit; these credits are "saved" for use after graduation. All fees are the responsibility of the student. Classes are taken after school, evenings or during the summer.
3. Applicants may be a high school freshman, sophomore, junior or senior with the following G.P.A.:
Freshman: 3.9 Sophomore: 3.7 Junior: 3.5 Senior: 3.0
4. Applicants must be recommended by the principal or counselor.
5. Applicants must participate in the college's assessment program.
6. A conference must be held with a counselor or a member of the high school administration to determine the feasibility of scheduling and meeting the requirements of the college and Elyria Catholic. The conference is usually held after March 1st.
The Lorain County Community College PSEO representative for Elyria Catholic High School is Rochelle Lappis. She can be reached at (440) 366-7740 or firstname.lastname@example.org .
Please visit www.lorainccc.edu/PSEO for information on the PSEO program.